Senior Consultant and National Technical Specialist for Environmental Public Health Engineering, Asia Pacific Region
Much of Jim Bradley’s 44 year career has been associated with advising Local Authorities and Central Government throughout New Zealand on wastewater management and associated resource consenting. This has allowed Jim to develop ‘strategic’ and holistic ‘big picture’ views of the planning regulatory, environmental, technical, social, cultural and management needs and issues of these inter-related topics, particularly as they relate to the Local Authority sector.
In this work Jim has been at the forefront in New Zealand of developing more sustainable concepts for the management of wastewater and associated sludge and biosolids. An excellent example of this is the award-winning “no sludge” Hastings wastewater treatment plant; a paradigm shift in wastewater planning and treatment.
Jim has extensive involvement in investigating, considering options, consulting (including tangata whenua participation), and consenting a wide range of wastewater schemes.
Jim has been involved in assessing over 40 different community (city and district) schemes in New Zealand.
In the News:
- Taking a Closer Look at Sludge and Biosolids
- Planning a Resilient Christchurch for the Future
- Hastings Wastewater An Update of This Remarkable ‘Win-Win’ No Sludge Wastewater Treatment Solution that Challenged Conventional Practice
- BE (Civil) 1st Class Honours, University of Canterbury, 1969 (Charles Upham Scholar, University of Canterbury, 1965 to 1969)
- DipSE (Sanitary Engineering) Distinction, Delft, Netherlands (Masters Equivalent), 1973
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Water and Environmental Management ,UK
- Associate, NZ Institute of Management
- Diplomat American Academy of Environmental Engineers (BCEE) (1998)
- Fellow, Institute of Professional Engineers New Zealand
- New Zealand Engineering Excellence Award (2012) for the Waste, Water and Amenities category. For development of the innovative approaches and successful delivery of Hastings Wastewater Treatment Plant Project
- The Industrial Trade Waste Forum Inaugural Environmental Champion, 2012
- NZ Trade and Industrial Waste Forum Inaugural Environmental Champion 2012
- Honorary Member of the Waste Management Institute of NZ, 2005
- IPENZ Foundation, Inaugural William Pickering Award for Engineering Leadership, 2005
- IPENZ Inaugural Supreme Technical Award for Engineering Achievers in Sustainability and Clean Technology, 2004
- IPENZ Innovation Award (2002) For development of the innovative approaches and successful delivery of the Hutt Wastewater Project.
- Life Member of the NZ Water and Waste Association, 2000
- NZ Post Community Consultation Award, 2000 for Palmerston North City Council project team and local iwi consultation.
- IPENZ Best Paper in the Sustainable City Theme, 1998
- Over 20 national and international invited key note conference addresses and over 75 papers and presentations in total.
- Involvement in over 40 different community wastewater schemes.