Environmental Remediation & Closure
Leveraging our experience with remediation technology and our ability to proactively engage and listen to regulatory and other stakeholder concerns, MWH, now part of Stantec, develops logical and defensible environmental remediation solutions. Our solutions solve technical challenges while addressing our client’s needs to balance risk management with cost control in a responsible manner.
Our environmental remediation services include:
- Site investigations
- Chemical fate and transport and modeling studies
- Human health and ecological risk assessments
- Remedial feasibility studies
- Facility closure strategies
- Probabilistic cost estimating of various remediation scenarios
- Risk-based and natural attenuation approaches
- Technical impracticability waivers
- In-situ and ex-situ technologies
- Remediation design and construction
- Groundwater, soil and sediment decontamination
- Operation, maintenance and monitoring
- Impoundment development and closure
- Natural resource damage support
- Regulatory negotiations, community relations, and stakeholder engagement
- Litigation technical support
MWH understands that many industrial clients manage their sites within a portfolio of environmental liabilities. Balancing risk management and competing stakeholder objectives with cost control requires more from a consultant than local offices, a large staff, or excellent technical expertise. We recognize that every environmental remediation project comes with numerous internal and external interests, many of which may be in conflict. We work closely with our clients to establish project goals and priorities while making sure that each aspect of our work is conceptualized, designed, and implemented with those goals in mind. Our experienced teams employ a structured, logical approach to remediation activities that considers business objectives, long and short-term financial planning, current and future liability, property value, potential future use, safety, public relations, and corporate image.
In the past 10 years, MWH has closed or decommissioned over 100 industrial facilities worldwide. MWH delivers facility closures safely while reducing hazards, minimizing environmental liabilities, and controlling costs.
The most important aspect of a facility closure project is safety. After that, a successful project involves the efficient melding of engineering, regulations, and construction with market savvy on the value of recyclable materials.
We provide our clients the full range of services so that:
- Costs are contained because buildings are adequately characterized to define the types and amounts of contamination, appropriate decontamination techniques, and proper waste characterization.
- Utility disruptions are prevented because existing gas, water, electric and other utilities are located and provisions are made to abandon, relocate or reconfigure them so that the building can be safely demolished and adjacent structures are not impacted.
- Costs are minimized by establishing the right team to maximize the use of locally available, cost effective subcontractors, combined with the best nationally available specialty resources.
- Schedules are met because the project is planned to prevent disruption of existing operations, and assure that all local, state and federal requirements are met.
- Long-term liability is minimized with documentation that shows all materials were effectively decontaminated, segregated, and transported and disposed of properly, and plant drawings are properly updated to show changes to utilities and processes.