MWH has been one of the world’s leading water treatment companies since 1844. Over the years we have cultivated a rich legacy of providing expert knowledge in the planning and design of nearly 500 water treatment plants, ranging in capacity from less than 1 million gallons per day (mgd) to more than 1,000 mgd. We have conducted over 100 pilot-scale studies in the last 25 years to offer our clients cost-effective solutions to meet their water quality goals and drinking water regulations.
In addition to our expertise in conventional water treatment technologies, MWH has been a leader in implementing emerging technologies such as membrane technology for treatment of all types of source water (groundwater, surface water, brackish water and seawater) for nearly three decades. Our water treatment engineers are renowned for our award-winning membrane filtration and UV process research and development. Now in its 3rd edition, our team of qualified experts wrote Water Treatment: Principles and Design, one of the most comprehensive references on the science and practice of water treatment.
Regulatory Requirements, Planning and Permitting
Through effective and efficient project planning, MWH experts provide comprehensive services and expertise in regulatory requirements, planning and permitting to ensure project success, with services including:
- Master planning
- Economic and rate studies
- Expertise in local, state and federal regulatory requirements
- Public outreach
Water Treatment Technologies
MWH is at the forefront in the application of treatment technologies, including:
- Conventional treatment technologies
- High-rate clarification (e.g., dissolved air flotation and ballasted flocculation)
- Disinfection and oxidation – (e.g., chlorination and other chemical disinfectants and UV)
- Membrane filtration – (e.g., microfiltration, ultrafiltration, nanofiltration and reverse osmosis)
- Post-filter Granular activated carbon (GAC) adsorption and GAC filter/adsorbers
- Pre- and intermediate-ozonation, including biologically-active filtration
- Advanced oxidation processes (e.g., UV / H2O2 and UV / ozone)
- On-site hypochlorite generation
- Technologies for desalination water treatment, such as reverse osomosis; nanofiltration and electrodialysis and electrodialysis reversal
Preliminary and Detailed Design
Our multi-disciplinary design team blends expertise and proven reputation for innovative, quality to design for industrial and municipal water treatment projects, including:
- Treatment system design support (Preliminary Engineering Reports)
- Civil, chemical, electrical, geotechnical, hydraulic, instrumentation and control, mechanical, structural, architectural engineering and design, technical specifications
- Technical, economic and financial feasibility studies
- Water distribution system modeling and design
- Bench-, pilot- and full-scale demonstration studies
- New water treatment plants
- Existing water treatment plant upgrades and expansions, including rehabilitation and retrofitting
- QA/QC & Value Engineering
Water Treatment Operations
MWH expertise runs the full lifecycle of a project, including partnering with our clients to determine best practices for operations, including:
- Plant operations and optimization
- Operator training
- Start-up and commissioning
- Equipment analysis and evaluation
- Best treatment practices
We offer a full range of high-value, “start-to-finish” pre-construction, construction and construction management services.
Our experts have a proven track record of providing program management services to deliver complex wet infrastructure programs.
As aging infrastructure and environmental concerns impact our clients, MWH experts assess the condition of their wet infrastructure and provide innovative rehabilitation, upgrade and expansion solutions.