Sustainability & Climate Change
Sustainable Engineering and Construction – Right for the Planet, Right for the Bottom Line
MWH provides innovative, affordable and sustainable solutions that reduce costs through more efficient use of resources and pave the way for future generations to meet their own needs.
Our water, clean energy and sustainable solutions experts turn conventional infrastructure into efficient infrastructure.
We are at the forefront of environmental best practice with decades of experience on some of the world’s most complex and technologically advanced environmental projects that address the environmental pressures of resource scarcity, population growth and climate change. We offer a strategic approach and a wide range of innovative solutions to help our clients:
- Comply with stringent and demanding regulations while maintaining profitability, reputation and brand.
- Employ the latest industry research and technological advances.
- Set overall strategic direction and align supporting sustainable initiatives.
- Measure and reduce carbon and water footprints, improve efficiency, and reduce cost and risk.
- Optimize the use of energy, water and other valuable resources while minimizing waste.
- Increase competitive advantage through tactical development of environmentally, socially and economically sound processes supported by innovative resource management.
Our services range from strategy and policy development to tailored solutions for corporate social responsibility, water resource management, renewable energy, sustainable power generation, energy efficiency and energy management, environmental management, greenhouse gas reporting and management, green design and sustainable construction, climate change mitigation and adaptation and more.
Following are some recent examples of our environment, sustainability and climate change successes:
- We partnered with a regional centre in Australia which relies heavily on the coal industry as a source of employment to develop a comprehensive policy and action plan which prepares the region for a low-carbon future and carbon tax.
- We support the European Commission’s Global Climate Change Alliance, which helps developing countries that are vulnerable to climate change to increase their mitigation and adaptation capabilities, in alignment with the Millennium Development Goals.
- We researched and analyzed carbon markets for one of the largest cities in the United States in order to help the city determine how to best optimize carbon planning and meet emission reduction targets.
- We have assisted government and private clients with numerous ecological and environmental assessments to obtain regulatory approvals.
- Our work in analyzing extreme weather events, such as bushfires and flooding, has allowed authorities in Australia, New Zealand and the United Kingdom to prepare for such events with a list of prioritized actions and early warning mechanisms.
- For several years, we have been assisting the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development in identifying and developing energy efficiency and sustainable technology investments, mainly in Eastern European countries.
- Through our feasibility studies, technical and financial assessments and design, we have provided more sustainable solutions for the modernization and rehabilitation of several power plants in Asian countries.
- We have partnered with a client operating in the energy industry in China which aimed to assess implications of the registration of its coal-related emissions as Clean Development Mechanisms and/or Joint Implementation projects under the Kyoto Protocol.
Our Commitment to Being a Sustainable Company
While helping our clients reach their sustainability goals, we are proactively managing our own environmental impacts. In early 2007, MWH, in its commitment to be a sustainable and environmental company, developed a multi-faceted Climate Change Commitment to advocate for sustainable practices, reduce our energy use and greenhouse gas emissions and educate young people in our communities on the water cycle, energy use and climate change.
We have also partnered with global organizations, such as the Clinton Global Initiative and The Climate Group, which are dedicated to advancing business and government leadership on climate change.
We are proud of the thousands of employees who volunteer their time worldwide through programs like our Educational Outreach Program, Engineers without Borders and a wide range of community sustainability projects and charitable organizations.
Together with our clients, we are taking the opportunity to make a positive difference in responding to climate change today, tomorrow and in the decades to come. This is a good thing to do for the planet, and it is a good thing to do for the bottom line.